TTEM - Transformational Tools for Body Energy and Mind 

News    Articles    ***Forum***    Jewels    About   

Welcome Guest on 17 April 2014. 
If you wish to join the forum send a short email containing a couple of sentences explaining your interests (nothing fancy, just sufficient to indicate that you are not a spammer) and your preferred username to: applications AT ttem.org

Username: Password:
Home  
TTEM - Transformational Tools for Body Energy and Mind  |  Mind  |  Dhamma & Dao  |  Topic: Excellent BGeeks Interviews w/John Peacock re Early Buddhism 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »

Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Excellent BGeeks Interviews w/John Peacock re Early Buddhism  (Read 534 times)
Mike
Superhero

Excellent BGeeks Interviews w/John Peacock re Early Buddhism
« on: 05 July 2012 »

It seems to me that it should be required knowledge for anyone who has any view on the conditioned phenomena that is Buddhism that they also find out something about early Buddhism. These are two splendid interviews focusing on the character of the Buddha (a normal person who changed his mind, got angry, and who evolved his presentation style) and "Buddhism".

John Peacock is a scholar and Associate Director of The Oxford Mindfulness Centre. His studies of the earliest Buddhist writings have revealed to him a very human Buddha and a very different Buddhism than we know today.

In a conversation with Hokai Sobol, Peacock describes the historical Buddha as a very practical teacher and a radical social reformer. He cites passages of the earliest writings that describe a very human and emotional Buddha that enjoyed satire. He calls the Buddha the “First Psychologist” and relates to him as a teacher who was more interested in practical psychology than philosophy.

http://www.buddhistgeeks.com/2012/05/bg-256-will-the-real-buddha-please-stand-up/  [has transcript as I write - I think as always tho a talk conveys more nuance than just "words on a page"]
http://www.buddhistgeeks.com/2012/06/bg-257-finding-the-future-in-the-past/ [no transcript yet]

Almost all "authorities" I have ever heard opine on Buddhism would benefit from these talks and as for the rest of us - well listen now or put them on your mp3 or car CD right away  grin

Unfair to pick anything out but I am always a fan of mistranslations ... Peacock suggests "boundless friendliness" as a much better translation of metta than the usual (and inaccurate/Christianised "loving kindness") and says on the vital matter of the opposite of "attachment" (which is after all key) that its not detachment (attachment to non-attachment) but something like "active engagement" (as I recall) - about being deeply human. He also talks about panna being poorly translated as wisdom which makes it sound very cognitive whereas its more about embodying realisation.

Most is on the character of the Buddha (humour, deep social engagement etc) and how different early Buddhism was from all the strands we know now which are all "later Buddhism".

Mike

VALUE CLEAR SPACE...

Pages: [1] Print 
TTEM - Transformational Tools for Body Energy and Mind  |  Mind  |  Dhamma & Dao  |  Topic: Excellent BGeeks Interviews w/John Peacock re Early Buddhism « previous next »

Jump to:  

TTEM - Transformational Tools for Body Energy and Mind | Powered by SMF 1.0.16.
© 2005, Simple Machines LLC. All Rights Reserved.